- Julie Wenah (EDA): IMCP Updates: Redesignations will go out this week (September 26); a template will be sent forth for local announcements; EDA is working to secure speakers for the summit; a big thanks to the NIST and Advanced Michigan teams for the webinar on September 22 - Manufacturing USA; next webinar will come from EPA - look for the email announcement. And, thanks to team Idaho for a visit last week with Matt Erskine; Jay Williams will visit Rochester next; and followed by visits to Milwaukee, Pittsburgh and Ohio.
IMCP Report templates: Two parts:
- Quantitive piece due Thursday or Friday this week
- Qualitative piece due next week
- Chigozie Ezirike (EDA): Need biographies for the summit speakers and will continue to work on the content booklet. All information needed to Chigozie by October 19, 2016.
- Nancy Gilbert (EDA): October 19 Summit Update. Will send out the match-ups with the federal agencies for the one-on-one meetings at DOC . Will try to accommodate the schedules of everyone, and the one-page overview is due to Nancy by September 28, 2016.
- Charlie Bartsch (EPA): EPA webinar timing TBD. As IMCP’ers planning trip, ask Charlie for help, if needed. Also, legislation has (just) been introduced regarding manufacturing. This is different from the IMCP bill.
- Dileep Thatte (NIST MEP): No updates
- Brian Parker (EDA-SRO): No updates
- April Springfield-Blanco (DRA): Not on call.
- Kalisha Dessources, Policy Advisor, White House Council on Women and Girls will join the IMCP call on Monday, October 3. Kalisha will discuss the October 28, 2016 White House event entitled, "Cracking the Code: Inclusive STEM Education for Youth of Color.” Website at https://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/cwg
1. Summit Agenda and links! (October 20-21, 2016)
- Official IMCP Summit Link for registration now available
- Wednesday Night IMCP Reception Registration Link. In case you missed David Palmer’s email with registration link, here it is again Wednesday, October 19 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the National Association of Realtors 500 New Jersey Avenue NW. Contact: email@example.com for more information.
- CDFA Training Link for Registration URL. Free training is Friday, October 21 from 9am to noon in downtown Washington, DC. Venue to be announced later. 24 have already registered -- please register ASAP because space is limited!
- Please Note: Eventbrite is letting her say the date; however if not in PDT, it shows PDT. Sarah does not not how to resolve this. Be aware when making reservations.
3. Manufacturing Day: Coming up in October - October 7th is Manufacturing Day. Potential to coordinate activities? Please add your Manufacturing Day activities to the spreadsheet - here. We hope to aggregate and amplify IMCP impact nationally.
5. Programming Conference Call: Comments on the Manufacturing USA, MEP webinar?
6. Legislative Update: IMCP has been included in reauthorization of COMPETE. In holding pattern awaiting further Congressional action.
7. Private funding/Finance update: Proposed workshop scheduled for the morning of Friday, October 21st in Washington, D.C. following the IMCP Summit. Sarah provided a link to the registration.
8. Questions/Comments from the Gallery:
Please note: we are no longer doing a round robin check in -- instead, we will focus on collaborative issues and projects. So -- we really truly need each region to take a moment or two to write a few sentences about what you are doing! (Please fill in what you can -- doesn’t have to be earth shattering!)
1st Round Designated Communities:
Southwest Alabama - Advancing Southwest Alabama
Primary Contact: Laura O’Connor at 251-431-8647 or firstname.lastname@example.org ; Kathy Thompson at email@example.com
- September 19, 2016: Airbus produced the 10th aircraft to Florida-based Spirit Airlines. Spirit sent 140 employees to the delivery ceremony at the Mobile, Alabama Aeroplex. http://www.madeinalabama.com/2016/09/airbus-alabama-double-milestone-spirit-claims-first-aircraft/
- Innovation PortAL, a regional entrepreneurial and innovation hub, new website at https://innovation-portal.com/ ; Become a follower on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-innovation-portal
Southern California - Advanced Manufacturing Partnership for Southern California
Primary Contact: Dion Jackson (213) 821-6145 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- AMP SoCal and its partners will be participating in the following upcoming events (all info can be found https://ampsocal.usc.edu/events/upcoming/
- Sept 26 - 29 CAMX: The Composites and Advanced Materials Expo
- Sept 29: Southern California Aerospace Council Launch hosted by partner the Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation
- Oct 6: Manufacturing Week Mira Costa College Community Education & Workforce Development Event
- Oct 7: La Kretz Innovation Campus Grand Opening
- Oct 7: Infologic, Inc. Manufacturing Day Event
- Oct 18 - 21: Air Force Small Business Days
- Oct 18: LA Mayor Garcetti's Launch of the City's Export Program - Taking L.A. to the World: Growing Your Business Through Exports
- A new research initiative, the Fac-a-thon, which is created expressly for faculty researchers to brainstorm solutions for industry research issues, launched its website: http://ampsocalusc.wix.com/fac-a-thon
- More information about the Fac-a-thon: https://ampsocal.usc.edu/amp-socals-fac-a-thon-links-facultys-top-minds-to-manufacturings-top-research-needs/
- Upcoming AMP SoCal Innovation Forums currently in the planning stage:
- November 11: Innovation Forum - Cubesats and other small satellites
- December 9: Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
South Kansas region led by Wichita State University
Primary Contact: Debra Franklin, email@example.com, (316) 978-5209
- Sept 26 – IASCK Monthly Meeting
- Sept 27 - Patent Searching by Keyword and Classification
- Sept 30 – Joint Venturing & Teaming on Federal Government Contracts
- Oct 5 – Accelerate the Heartland
- Oct 6 – 37th Annual Kansas Economic Outlook Conference
- Oct 7 - Mindset and Methods of Open Innovation
- Oct 7 – Business Pitching: Knowing the Essentials to Grab Attention
- Oct 11 - Naming Your Business: Trademark Basics
- Oct 13 – SBIR Training, Train the trainer
- Oct 14 – SBIR STTR Grant Writing Workshop
- Oct 14 – Legal Essentials for Entrepreneurs
- Oct 21 – HR for Entrepreneurs: Building Your Team and Building in Scalability
- Oct 25 - Copyright Basics
- Nov 1 - Planning for Success: Finding Facts to Support Your Business Plan
- Nov 15 - Who's Your Competition & Customer? Market Research for the Entrepreneur
Greater Portland region in Maine led by the Greater Portland Council of Governments Primary Contact: Caroline Paras, GPCOG firstname.lastname@example.org
- News from Maine: Tomorrow, we are hosting a quarterly meeting of our IMCP Consortium. The day will culminate in the Open House for Fork Food Lab, our new commercial kitchen incubator, including tours, food samples, and live bands: https://www.facebook.com/events/320194961704688/
The South-Central Idaho region led by the Region IV Development Association in Twin Falls, ID Primary Contact: Carleen Herring email@example.com
- Southern Idaho pulled out all the stops for Deputy Assistant Secretary Matt Erskine’s visit to the Magic Valley. We started on Tuesday evening with a picture perfect dinner on the canyon rim - 486 feet above the Snake River. Perfect sunset, BASE jumpers’ leaping from the Perrine Bridge, and a wonderful meal. Good thing too, because the next day… we clocked in over 13 hours of ‘show and tell’ that bracketed lunch in Twin Falls -- attended by 50+ members of the consortium, including Lieutenant Governor Brad Little. The partners discussed workforce challenges, infrastructure bottlenecks, and opportunities for future federal support and investment.
- The transload pilot project is moving forward with the short line and Class 1 railroads coordinating with local production companies and freight haulers to design their initial cross-docking operation. One of DAS Erskine’s stops at the proposed site was attended by the railroads, Mini-Cassia Commerce Authority, McCain Foods, DOT Foods, and Glanbia Nutritionals.
The Central Valley AgPlus Food and Beverage Manufacturing Consortium led by California State University in Fresno and the Sacramento Community
Primary Contact: Nick Gera firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Erik Cherkaski email@example.com
- Central Valley AgPlus received notice of additional funding from EDA, which will be utilized in the implementation of new projects.
- AgPlus is working with the California League of Food Processors to put together a Workforce Summit, to be held in conjunction with the February 2017 Food Processing Expo in Sacramento. Planning is currently underway for event.
- AgPlus Executive Committee is implementing workforce workshops to be held in the beginning of 2017, focusing on business procurement practices that can benefit food and beverage manufacturers.
- Exploring potential projects for international trade, and access to capital for food and beverage manufacturers.