- Julie Wenah (EDA): Just sent an email regarding an update at the federal level, funding dollars - switching to an IMCP led conference call. Email sent out in December asking about match funding, federal dollars received, private sector investment, list of consortium members, need responses from communities
- Regional Innovation strategy grant announcement coming out today. I-6 challenge awardees
- Charlie Bartsch (EPA): Still trying to get the Tim Larsen stuff scheduled. Area-wide planning grant competition coming out later this spring for Brownfield program. Potential for use in brownfield redevelopment and IMCP communities will have preference points. One-on-one conversations with Charlie is a potential to determine if your community should apply/identify possible uses for the funds.
- $200,000 marketing, assessment, feasibility for assessing target areas - looking to award 20 projects. Milwaukee and Racine both received awards last year.
- Heidi Sheppard (NIST): Nothing to report
- Other BFFs on the call? :
- Programming Conference call - Julie Wenah - Starting on Friday
- Legislation Update - David Palmer - Direct communication with Jon Cardinal (Sen. Gillibrand’s office) is recommended. Jon_Cardinal@gillibrand.senate.gov
- Thad - the Senator is coming to Rochester within the next hour. Hope to have news in the near term.
- EDA Conference in D.C. - potential for an IMCP panel discussion - Deepak Bahl - Call on Friday with a smaller group to go over the IMCP - manufacturing session. Seven (7) IMCP participants are interested in participating. Petra - would like to be included in the conversation. email@example.com How many IMCP communities? Chicago, Pittsburgh, Madison, Southern Idaho, Southern California. Deepak will share the proposal for the panel discussion. Copy Sarah on the email - we can put this out on the blog.
- 2nd Round Communities - Bob Velasquez - coordination of the 2nd round folks to develop an overview of what we need in terms of assistance from the 1st round consortiums/federal partners. John with Alamo will check status and provide an update.
- Mapping linkages with NNMI, MEP, and National Laboratories - Heidi Sheppard -
- Hannover Messe (April) - Select USA in D.C, (June) - Petra is trying to get a call scheduled with Select USA to determine the best way to maximize the impact of participation. Julie -- Hannover - just marketing materials for IMCP communities, not as heavy a presence at Hannover-Messe as originally hoped. Petra and Derek will continue to have conversations.
- NNMI Coordination - Dion - Heidi - Dion is setting up the series of conference calls for interested parties.
- Advanced Composites Workforce - Greg (Utah)
- Aerospace - Need a champion to coordinate this group -
- Private Funding - Sarah - Charlie - Nothing new since last week.
- Food - California
1. Manufacturing Community Blog - Sarah is looking for updates that can be posted to the blog. Press releases? Stories that your local paper carried that can be shared with the other IMCP communities? Contact Sarah Lee or Carleen Herring.
2. Letter to Penny Pritzker/Jay Williams with an update on successes - Jennifer Ptak Need to have a separate conversation to get across our key issues for the EDA leadership. Jennifer Ptak has put together a first draft that potentially can be circulated for comment. She will send that around. What issues do folks want to push forward for the agency’s discussions? Derek will work with Irene to help move this item forward.
John - Alamo trip to D.C. last week. Met with Congressional members - overview of the activities in Texas. Julie, Heidi, representative from Labor.
Please note: we are no longer doing a round robin check in -- instead, we will focus on collaborative issues and projects. So -- we really truly need each region to take a moment or two to write a few sentences about what you are doing! (Please fill in what you can -- doesn’t have to be earth shattering!)
1st Round Designated Communities:
Southern California - Advanced Manufacturing Partnership for Southern California
Primary Contact: Dion Jackson (213) 821-6145 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- New AMP SoCal logo has been developed and is in its final stages of official approval
- AMP SoCal Twitter has been set up and can be found at
https://twitter.com/AMP_SoCal. Follow us @AMP SoCal and tune in for live tweets from events and updates on AMP SoCal news, including the upcoming Aero-Def Conference, Feb 9-10.
- Visit our AMP SoCal booth at Aero-Def - Booth #737 (under LAEDC) at Long Beach
- 2nd Innovation Forum March 18 on SBIR/STTR, event registration link
and information can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/AMPSoCalSBIRWorkshop
- Planning 1st AMP SoCal Conference for members, interested stakeholders, and businesses
- Developing AMP SoCal website - stay tuned
The Chicago metro region:
Primary Contact: Derek Walvoord 312-603-1038, email@example.com
- We participated in a meeting introducing the ComEd Smart Grid - I believe they got a grant from the DOE. Illinois Tech (formerly IIT) and a contiguous neighborhood, Bronzeville, will operate independent small smart grids. The grant is to create/invent the hardware and software to make them work together and independently, depending on circumstances.
- Convened our Steering Committee, International Trade Subcommittee, and our Workforce Com (Co-Chairs meeting)
- Chicago/Cook Workforce Partners is working on TechHire
- 2 delegates will attend Hannover Messe, and will be in the Illinois Pavilion.
South Kansas region led by Wichita State University
Primary Contact: Debra Franklin, firstname.lastname@example.org, (316) 978-5209
- Preparations for the New Ventures competition are underway.
- We continue to work on the TechHire Proposal
- SBIR STTR Road Tour will be in Wichita on June 30 and preparations are underway
- Website update is nearly complete, iterations and updates will be ongoing.
The Alamo Manufacturing Partnership (AMP)
Point of Contact: Can (John) Saygin email@example.com); john dewey (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Alamo Region completed a 4-day trip (“SA to DC”) to Washington last week to meet with Legislators and key federal departments/agencies re issues of importance to our region. Meetings were held with several Texas Congressman to update them on AMP initiatives relative to IMCP. The Congressmen were also provided information re Sen. Gillibrand’s proposed IMCP legislation and asked for their support.
- AMP is currently working with our regional partners in consideration of a response to the TechHire grant announcement.
The Minnesota Medical Manufacturing Partnership led by GREATER MSP in Minneapolis, MN. Primary Contact: Megan Livgard - email@example.com
- The MMMP Executive Committee approved their first IMCP Preferred Status Letter to MN 360 Manufacturing and Applied Engineering ATE Regional Center of Excellence.
- The Workforce and Training Committee will be reviewing a proposed TechHire grant proposal at their next meeting.
- We are working on scheduling all working group committees to begin further project and grant initiative collaboration.
- The Region is experiencing great synergy and excitement regarding working together for the medical manufacturing sector.
The South-Central Idaho region led by the Region IV Development Association in Twin Falls, ID Primary Contact: Carleen Herring firstname.lastname@example.org
- Continuing to work on the Tech-Hire application.
- Coordinating the regional CEDS update and the IMCP strategies.
- Conversation last week with dairymen’s association to explore water recycling with large manufacturer and canal company aquifer recharge potentials.
The Central Valley AgPlus Food and Beverage Manufacturing Consortium led by California State University in Fresno and the Sacramento Community
Primary Contact: Karmjot Grewal email email@example.com
- Working with pillar groups on goals set forth through their committee meetings
- Working on presentations regarding our designation and how it can benefit our region for the Food Processing Expo that is put on annually by the League of Food Processing that is taking place in February.
- Looking into additional grant opportunities for our pillar groups to explore a supplier mapping/analysis exercise for AgPLUS. We are looking to submit a proposal to EDA's Economic Adjustment Assistance program to fund this activity.
- Based on the call we had last week, we are looking to also write our local congressional representatives in the house and talk to them about the importance of the IMCP programs.
- Looking into additional grant and funding opportunities for our Pillar Working Groups
- Speaking with Paul Jadin from Wisconsin IMCP Region as well as Carleen Herring from Southern Idaho’s IMCP region to share best practices this week.